Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Easter guilt, yes I really should blog more often

It’s not like I don’t have much to write about, or don’t have pictures to share… It’s just that I leave it so long and then… where do you start?

How about some photos of the awesome blocks my patchwork and quilting students have made during our eight week Techniques course? They have really picked up lots of nifty tricks. Techniques are tools to tackle those tricky looking jobs. If one doesn’t work, try another one.

We concentrated on machine piecing, covering most aspects of patchwork. Over the weeks their piecing improved so much, they can now feel confident tackling curves, y-seams and fiddly foundation paper piecing.

photo (59)

Here are some of the blocks made during our machine pieced curves class. So we could concentrate on the piecing we cut our fabric using the Sizzix and the Drunkards Path and Rose Dream dies.

Freezer Paper Piecing

And look at these gorgeous blocks they chose for the Freezer Paper Piecing class, aren’t they perfect! Patterns are from top left clockwise: Tea Cup and Saucer pattern by Piece By Number ; Hummingbird by Julia at Stars and Sunshine and finally Pink Penguin’s Kitchen Scales from her Let’s Bake pattern series.

Foundation Paper Piecing

And one more mosaic of their incredible work using the Foundation Paper piecing and English Paper piecing techniques. The first three are the striking Circle of Geese pattern by Piece By Number, the last photo is a block from Chuck Nohara’s book, made four times and then rotated to make a new block. Isn’t Munaiba clever!

So that’s just a little of what they’ve been doing, I know that after eight weeks their minds are ticking away with all the new techniques up their sleeves. I know the feeling well, I haven’t learnt everything I need to know about about it yet, there are always new products and techniques to try. I find it so exciting to have so much technology available to hone our craft .

PS I’m often asked about my classes, the easiest and most cost effective way to get started with Patchwork and Quilting is to book into an 8 week course via the City East Community College. The next course begins on the 6th May. Book online via their website: http://www.cityeastcc.com.au/course/patch

4 comments:

  1. It was a great class Lorena and lots of fun. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and thank you for my pressing board, a great addition to my sewing space :-)

      Delete
  2. Your students must have had fun, I've been seeing teaser photos on Munaiba's FB so it's great to see more photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great bunch, its definitely one of the highlights of my week :-)

      Delete